Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Beginning . . .

Hey, my name is Danielle. You'll be meeting my amazing friends Grace and Jessica shortly but first I'm going to take a little time to explain what on earth is going on here...

Here's how the story goes...

Chapter One: A FREAK OF NATURE friendship. I have always been the queen of a million acquaintances... But suddenly, come last January, enter into my life, stage left: Grace Morrison... This twisted bundle of absolute amazing. We have ridiculous amounts of odd things in common, from interests, quirks, idiosyncrasies, talents, life experiences, joys, fears... On top of that, we just click--get along--complement and balance one another out in unexpected ways. Weird. Weird, weird, weird.

How much do I love her? Ridiculous amounts. "Graacceee! If I were a polygamous bisexual I would MARRY YOU!"

Chapter Two: Daily Grind. We both found ourselves in very difficult positions... Money really is important. It may not be the be all-- end all, but it certainly does come in handy from time to time... (Like rent time, and when you run out of groceries for example...) But how long can you deny your gifts, passions, visions and ideas, and continue to shove them down because they don't fit into your daily routine or into your workplace? It's like trying to cram yourself into a mold that wasn't made to fit you.

Chapter Three: The Ukulele. Early this year Grace made a random impulse buy and came home with a ukulele. She learned to play quite quickly, and matched with her ridiculously beautiful voice she became quite a lovely traveling minstrel.
Now, several months later, I cannot tell you what on earth inspired me to pick up a ukulele. I'm musical, that's for sure, but I've never been what you call "successful" with any instrument even resembling a guitar... But May the 2nd, standing in a Victoria music store, nothing was going to convince me to put down the beautiful work of art known at the "Tiki King" (That's the model name -- I fondly named him Elvis -- figured it was appropriate.)

Chapter Four: Passionate and Unemployed. I became completely enamored with the ukulele and Grace and I had many a jam session. We sounded dang good together too! (Then again, why wouldn't we? I mentioned our friendship is a freak of nature, right??) We began to entertain the idea of busking... Grace had already decided that she was not going back to her job come the fall, and I had recently received the news that I was being laid off. (This was the second time in two years from the same place, take a hint, Danielle, right!?) So we figured, hmm, spend the summer months enjoying each other's company, playing music and making some good pocket change? Sounds like a good idea. That way we don't have to face the "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE!!??" question until the fall at least. Double good!

Chapter Five: The other woman. Grace's other best friend Jessica packed up her life in New Brunswick, moved clear across the country and landed in Victoria BC to be with Grace. You can imagine how I felt... I was prematurely mourning the loss of my freak-of-nature friendship... Do you blame me? But then something unexpected happened... Can lightening strike twice? It did. Freak of nature #2... And together we make a pretty freaking glorious 3!

Chapter Six: Over a mug of tea. Grace and I go out for tea after belly-dancing class every week... It's become a bit of a tradition... It is during this time that we do the majority of our dreaming, discussing, catching up, venting, brain-storming (permanently called "blainstorming, due to my frequent texting blunders...), etc. During one such session we found ourselves once again rehashing our feelings of aimlessness and hopelessness in the employment arena. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just get paid for being ourselves? For being creative and crafty? Painting, crocheting, knitting, hemping, Selling all kinds of creations... Writing music, performing... *Happy sighs*.... If only. Wouldn't it be great? To bad life doesn't work that way...

But why shouldn't it?
WHHYYY SSSHHOOUULLDDNNN'TTT IIITTT!!???

Chapter Seven: Shenanigans is born. That night the heavens opened up over my brain and I began bubbling out ideas faster than I could write them down... I texted Grace and vomited my excitement all over her... I guess my disease was contagious because she caught it and then faithfully passed it on to Jessica. A few "blainstorming" sessions later, and we hashed out our brilliant game plan.

It all starts here, at this blog. If all goes even reasonably according to plan then there will be so much more to come, but for now this is where we start.

The three of us are looking forward to a brilliant summer.

We will explore.
We will create.
We will busk.
& We will blog.

And you will be a part of it!!

***Danielle

Thank you for stopping by and taking an interest.
Thank you also for supporting us as we venture seriously outside the box.
Here's to living your life authentically! Be who you were created to be.

2 comments:

  1. True true, false and true! Great post, let the adventures begin!! Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks for the random "false" in there, just to shake things up a little... You are amazing. N e how, I'm hopping in a test drive vehicle and cruisin' to Vic so you all can give me your input. C u soon, lady!

    ReplyDelete